夏天的飛鳥,飛到我的窗前唱歌,又飛去了。
秋天的黃葉,它們沒有什麽可唱,只嘆息壹聲,飛落在那裏。
Stray birds of summer come to my window to sing and fly away.
And yellow leaves of autumn, which have no songs, flutter and fall there with a sign. 世界上的壹隊小小的漂泊者呀,請留下妳們的足印在我的文字裏。
O Troupe of little vagrants of the world, leave your footprints in my words.
世界對著它的愛人,把它浩翰的面具揭下了。
它變小了,小如壹首歌,小如壹回永恒的接吻。
The world puts off its mask of vastness to its lover.
It becomes small as one song, as one kiss of the eternal.
是大地的淚點,使她的微笑保持著青春不謝。
It is the tears of the earth that keep here smiles in bloom.
無垠的沙漠熱烈追求壹葉綠草的愛,她搖搖頭笑著飛開了。
The mighty desert is burning for the love of a bladeof grass who shakes her head and laughs and flies away.
如果妳因失去了太陽而流淚,那麽妳也將失去群星了。
If you shed tears when you miss the sun, you also miss the stars.
跳舞著的流水呀,在妳途中的泥沙,要求妳的歌聲,妳的流動呢。妳肯挾瘸足的泥沙而俱下麽?
The sands in your way beg for your song and your movement, dancing water. Will you carry the burden of their lameness?
她的熱切的臉,如夜雨似的,攪擾著我的夢魂。
Her wishful face haunts my dreams like the rain at night.
有壹次,我們夢見大家都是不相識的。
我們醒了,卻知道我們原是相親相愛的。
Once we dreamt that we were strangers.
We wake up to find that we were dear to each other.
憂思在我的心裏平靜下去,正如暮色降臨在寂靜的山林中。
Sorrow is hushed into peace in my heart like the evening among the silent trees.
有些看不見的手,如懶懶微飔似的,正在我的心上奏著嬋媛的樂聲。
Some unseen fingers, like an idle breeze, are playing upon my heart the music of the ripples.
“海水呀,妳說的是什麽?”
“是永恒的疑問。”
“天空呀,妳回答的話是什麽?”
“是永恒的沈默。”
What language is thine, O sea?
The language of eternal question.
What language is thy answer, O sky?
The language of eternal silence.
靜靜地聽,我的心呀,聽那世界的低語,這是它對妳求愛的表示呀。
Listen, my heart, to the whispers of the world with which it makes love to you.
創造的神秘,有如夜間的黑暗--是偉大的。而知識的幻影卻不過如晨間之霧。
The mystery of creation is like the darkness of night--it is great.Delusions of knowledge are like the fog of the morning.
不要因為峭壁是高的,便讓妳的愛情坐在峭壁上。
Do not seat your love upon a precipice because it is high.
我今晨坐在窗前,世界如壹個路人似的,停留了壹會,向我點點頭又走過去了。
I sit at my window this morning where the world like a passer-by stops for a moment, nods to me and goes.
這些微思,是樹葉的簌簌之聲呀;它們在我的心裏歡悅地微語著。
There little thoughts are the rustle of leaves; they have their whisper of joy in my mind.
妳看不見妳自己,妳所看見的只是妳的影子。
What you are you do not see, what you see is your shadow.
神呀,我的那些願望真是愚傻呀,它們雜在妳的哥聲中喧叫著呢。
讓我只是靜聽著吧。
My wishes are fools, they shout across thy song, my Master.
Let me but listen.
我不能選擇那最好的。
是那最好的選擇我。
I cannot choose the best.
The best chooses me.
那些把燈背在背上的人,把他們的影子投到了自己前面。
They throw their shadows before them who carry their lantern on their back.
我的存在,對我是壹個永久的神奇,這就是生活。
That I exist is a perpetual surprise which is life.
“我們蕭蕭的樹葉都有聲響回答那風和雨。妳是誰呢,那樣的沈默著?”
“我不過是壹朵花。”
We, the rustling leaves, have a voice that answers the storms,but who are you so silent?
I am a mere flower.
休息與工作的關系,正如眼瞼與眼睛的關系。
Rest belongs to the work as the eyelids to the eyes.
人是壹個初生的孩子,他的力量,就是生長的力量。
Man is a born child, his power is the power of growth.
神希望我們酬答他,在於他送給我們的花朵,而不在於太陽和土地。
God expects answers for the flowers he sends us, not for the sun the earth.
光明如壹個裸體的孩子,快快活活地在綠葉當中遊戲,它不知道人是會欺詐的。
The light that plays, like a naked child, among the green leaves happily knows not that man can lie.
啊,美呀,在愛中找妳自己吧,不要到妳鏡子的諂諛去找尋。
O Beauty, find thyself in love, not in the flattery of thy mirror.
我的心把她的波浪在世界的海岸上沖激著,以熱淚在上邊寫著她的題記:“我愛妳。”
My heart beats her waves at the shore of the world and writes upon it her signature in tears with the words, I love thee.
“月兒呀,妳在等候什麽呢?”
“向我將讓位給他的太陽致敬。”
Moon, for what do you wait?
To salute the sun for whom I must make way.
綠樹長到了我的窗前,仿佛是(yin1)啞的大地發出的渴望的聲音。
The trees come up to my window like the yearning voice of the dumb earth.
神自己的清晨,在他自己看來也是新奇的。
His own mornings are new surprises to God.
生命從世界得到資產,愛情使它得到價值。
Life finds its wealth by the claims of the world, and its worth by the claims of love.
枯竭的河床,並不感謝它的過去。
The dry river-bed finds no thanks for its past.
鳥兒願為壹朵雲。
雲兒願為壹只鳥。
The bird wishes it were a cloud.
The cloud wishes it were a bird.
瀑布歌唱道:“我得到自由時便有了歌聲了。”
The waterfall sing, I find my song, when I find my freedom.
我說不出這心為什麽那樣默默地頹喪著。
是為了它那不曾要求,不曾知道,不曾記得的小小的需要。
I cannot tell why this heart languishes in silence.
It is for small needs it never asks, or knows or remembers.
婦人,妳在料理家務的時候,妳的手足歌唱著,正如山間的溪水歌唱著在小石中流過。
Woman, when you move about in your household service your limbs sing
like a hill stream among its pebbles.
當太陽橫過西方的海面時,對著東方留下他的最後的敬禮。
The sun goes to cross the Western sea, leaving its last salutation to the East.
不要因為妳自己沒有胃口而去責備妳的食物。
Do not blame your food because you have no appetite.
群樹如表示大地的願望似的,踮起腳來向天空窺望。
The trees, like the longings of the earth, stand atiptoe to peep at the heaven.
妳微微地笑著,不同我說什麽話。而我覺得,為了這個,我已等待得久了。
You smiled and talked to me of nothing and I felt that for this I had been waiting long.
水裏的遊魚是沈默的,陸地上的獸類是喧鬧的,空中的飛鳥是歌唱著的。
但是,人類卻兼有海裏的沈默,地上的喧鬧與空中的音樂。
The fish in the water is silent, the animal on the earth is noisy,the bird in the air is singing.
But Man has in him the silence of the sea, the noise of the earth and the music of the air.
世界在躊躇之心的琴弦上跑過去,奏出憂郁的樂聲。
The world rushes on over the strings of the lingering heart making the music of sadness.
他把他的刀劍當著他的上帝。
當他的刀劍勝利的時候他自己卻失敗了。
He has made his weapons his gods.
When his weapons win he is defeated himself.
神從創造中找到他自己。
God finds himself by creating.
陰影戴上她的面幕,秘密地,溫順地,用她的沈默的愛的腳步,跟在“光”後邊。
Shadow, with her veil drawn, follows Light in secret meekness,with her silent steps of love.
群星不怕顯得向螢火那樣。
The stars are not afraid to appear like fireflies.
謝謝神,我不是壹個權力的輪子,而是被壓在這輪子下的活人之壹。
I thank thee that I am none of the wheels of power but I am one with the living creatures that are crushed by it.
心是尖銳的,不是寬博的,它執著在每壹點上,卻並不活動。
The mind, sharp but not broad, sticks at every point but does not move.
妳的偶象委散在塵土中了,這可證明神的塵土比妳的偶象還偉大。
You idol is shattered in the dust to prove that God's dust is greater than your idol.
人不能在他的歷史中表現出他自己,他在歷史中奮鬥著露出頭角。
Man does not reveal himself in his history, he struggles up through it.
玻璃燈因為瓦燈叫它做表兄而責備瓦燈。但明月出來時,玻璃燈
卻溫和地微笑著,叫明月為---“我親愛的,親愛的姐姐。”
While the glass lamp rebukes the earthen for calling it cousin the moon rises, and the glass lamp, with a bland smile, calls her,---My dear, dear sister.
我們如海鷗之與波濤相遇似地,遇見了,走近了。海鷗飛去,波濤滾滾地流開,我們也分別了。
Like the meeting of the seagulls and the waves we meet and come near.The seagulls fly off, the waves roll away and we depart.
我的白晝已經完了,我象壹只泊在海灘上的小船,諦聽著晚潮跳舞的樂聲。
My day is done, and I am like a boat drawn on the beach, listening to the dance-music of the tide in the evening.
我們的生命是天賦的,我們惟有獻出生命,才能得到生命。
Life is given to us, we earn it by giving it.
當我們是大為謙卑的時候,便是我們最接近偉大的時候。
We come nearest to the great when we are great in humility.
麻雀看見孔雀負擔著它的翎尾,替它擔憂。
The sparrow is sorry for the peacock at the burden of its tail.
決不要害怕剎那--永恒之聲這樣唱著。
Never be afraid of the moments--thus sings the voice of the everlas ting.
風於無路之中尋求最短之路,又突然地在“無何有之國”終之了它的追求。
The hurricane seeks the shortest road by the no-road, and suddenly ends its search in the Nowhere.
在我自己的杯中,飲了我的酒吧,朋友。
壹倒在別人的杯裏,這酒的騰跳的泡沫便要消失了。
Take my wine in my own cup, friend.
It loses its wreath of foam when poured into that of others.
“完全”為了對“不全”的愛,把自己裝飾得美麗。
The perfect decks itself in beauty for the love of the Imperfect.
神對人說:“我醫治妳所以傷害妳,愛妳所以懲罰妳。”
God says to man, I heal you therefore I hurt, love you therefore punish.
謝謝火焰給妳光明,但是不要忘了那執燈的人,他是堅忍地站在黑暗當中呢。
Thank the flame for its light, but do not forget the lampholder standing in the shade with constancy of patience.
小草呀,妳的足步雖小,但是妳擁有妳足下的土地。
Tiny grass, your steps are small, but you possess the earth under your tread.
幼花的蓓蕾開放了,它叫道:“親愛的世界呀,請不要萎謝了。”
The infant flower opens its bud and cries, Dear World, please do not fade.
神對於那些大帝國會感到厭惡,卻決不會厭惡那些小小的花朵。
God grows weary of great kingdoms, but never of little flowers.
錯誤經不起失敗,但是真理卻不怕失敗。
Wrong cannot afford defeat but Right can.
瀑布歌唱道:“雖然渴者只要少許的水便夠了,我卻很快活地給與了我的全部的水。
I give my whole water in joy, sings the waterfall, though little of it is enough for the thirsty.
把那些花朵拋擲上去的那壹陣子無休無止的狂歡大喜的勁兒,其源泉是在哪裏呢?
Where is the fountain that throws up these flowers in a ceaseless outbreak of ecstasy?
樵夫的斧頭,問樹要斧柄。樹便給了他。
The woodcutters axe begged for its handle from the tree.The tree gave it.
這寡獨的黃昏,幕著霧與雨,我在我的心的孤寂裏,感覺到它的嘆息。
In my solitude of heart I feel the sigh of this widowed evening veiled with mist and rain.
貞操是從豐富的愛情中生出來的財富。
Chastity is a wealth that comes from abundance of love.
霧,象愛情壹樣,在山峰的心上遊戲,生出種種美麗的變幻。
The mist, like love, plays upon the heart of the hills and bring out surprises of beauty.
我們把世界看錯了,反說它欺騙我們。
We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us.
詩人--颶風,正出經海洋森林,追求它自己的歌聲。
The poet wind is out over the sea and the forest to seek his own voice.
每壹個孩子出生時都帶來信息說:神對人並未灰心失望。
Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man.
綠草求她地上的伴侶。
樹木求他天空的寂寞。
The grass seeks her crowd in the earth.
The tree seeks his solitude of the sky.
人對他自己建築起堤防來。
Man barricades against himself.
我的朋友,妳的語聲飄蕩在我的心裏,象那海水的低吟聲繞繚在靜聽著的松林之間。
Your voice, my friend, wanders in my heart, like the muffled sound of the sea among these listening pines.
這個不可見的黑暗之火焰,以繁星為其火花的,到底是什麽呢?
What is this unseen flame of darkness whose sparks are the stars?
使生如夏花之絢爛,死如秋葉之靜美。
Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves.
那想做好人的,在門外敲著門;那愛人,的看見門敞開著。
He who wants to do good knocks at the gate; he who loves finds the
gate open.
在死的時候,眾多和而為壹;在生的時候,壹化為眾多。
神死了的時候,宗教便將合而為壹。
In death the many becomes one; in life the one becomes many.
Religion will be one when God is dead.
藝術家是自然的情人,所以他是自然的奴隸,也是自然的主人。
The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master.
“妳離我有多遠呢,果實呀?”
“我藏在妳心裏呢,花呀。”
How far are you from me, O Fruit?
I am hidden in your heart, O Flower.
這個渴望是為了那個在黑夜裏感覺得到,在大白天裏卻看不見的人。
This longing is for the one who is felt in the dark, but not seen in the day.
露珠對湖水說道;“妳是在荷葉下面的大露珠,我是在荷葉上面的較小的露珠。”
You are the big drop of dew under the lotus leaf, I am the smaller one on its upper side, said the dewdrop to the lake.
刀鞘保護刀的鋒利,它自己則滿足於它的遲鈍。
The scabbard is content to be dull when it protects the keenness of the sword.
在黑暗中,“壹”視如壹體;在光亮中,“壹”便視如眾多。在靜聽著的松林之間。
In darkness the One appears as uniform; in the light the One appears as manifold.
大地借助於綠草,顯出她自己的殷勤好客。
The great earth makes herself hospitable with the help of the grass.
綠葉的生與死乃是旋風的急驟的旋轉,它的更廣大的旋轉的圈子乃是在天上繁星之間徐緩的轉動。
The birth and death of the leaves are the rapid whirls of the eddy whose wider circles move slowly among stars.
權勢對世界說道:“妳是我的。”
世界便把權勢囚禁在她的寶座下面。
愛情對世界說道:“我是妳的。”
世界便給予愛情以在它屋內來往的自由。
Power said to the world, You are mine.
The world kept it prisoner on her throne.
Love said to the world, I am thine.
The world gave it the freedom of her house.
濃霧仿佛是大地的願望。
它藏起了太陽,而太陽原是她所呼求的。
The mist is like the earth's desire.
It hides the sun for whom she cries.
安靜些吧,我的心,這些大樹都是祈禱者呀。
Be still, my heart, these great trees are prayers.
瞬刻的喧聲,譏笑著永恒的音樂。
The noise of the moment scoffs at the music of the Eternal.
我想起了浮泛在生與愛與死的川流上的許多別的時代,以及這些時代之被遺忘,我便感覺到離開塵世的自由了。
I think of other ages that floated upon the stream of life and love and death and are forgotten, and I feel the freedom of passing away.
我靈魂裏的憂郁就是她的新婚的面紗。這面紗等候著在夜間卸去。
The sadness of my soul is her bride's veil.It waits to be lifted in the night.
死之印記給生的錢幣以價值,使它能夠用生命來購買那真正的寶物。
Death's stamp gives value to the coin of life; making it possible to buy with life what is truly precious.
白雲謙遜地站在天之壹隅。
晨光給它戴上霞彩。
The cloud stood humbly in a corner of the sky.
The morning crowned it with splendour.
塵土受到損辱,卻以她的花朵來報答。
The dust receives insult and in return offers her flowers.
只管走過去,不必逗留著采了花朵來保存,因為壹路上花朵自會繼續開放的。
Do not linger to gather flowers to keep them, but walk on,
for flowers will keep themselves blooming all your way.
根是地下的枝。
枝是空中的根。
Roots are the branches down in the earth.
Branches are roots in the air.
遠遠去了的夏之音樂,翺翔於秋間,尋求它的舊壘。
The music of the far-away summer flutters around the Autumn seeking its former nest.
不要從妳自己的袋裏掏出勛績借給妳的朋友,這是汙辱他的。
Do not insult your friend by lending him merits from your own pocket.
無名的日子的感觸,攀緣在我的心上,正象那綠色的苔蘚,攀緣在老樹的周身。
The touch of the nameless days clings to my heart like mosses round the old tree.
回聲嘲笑她的原聲,以證明她是原聲。
The echo mocks her origin to prove she is the original.
當富貴利達的人誇說他得到神的特別恩惠時,上帝卻羞了。
God is ashamed when the prosperous boasts of His special favour.
我投射我自己的影子在我的路上,因為我有壹盞還沒有燃點起來的明燈。
I cast my own shadow upon my path , because I have a lamp that has not been lighted.
人走進喧嘩的群眾裏去,為的是要淹沒他自己的沈默的呼號。
Man goes into the noisy crowed to drown his own clamour of silence.